Mandatory 10-Digit Dialing Coming to New Mexico
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted 988 as a new three-digit number to be used nationwide to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline, starting July 16, 2022. Members must continue to dial 1-800-273-TALK to reach the Lifeline until July 16, 2022.
In order for 988 to work in our area code, 10-digit local dialing must first be implemented. Starting October 24th, 2021, 10-digit calling is required throughout the state of New Mexico. To complete all local calls, you will now need to dial area code + telephone number.
Dates to be aware of:
- April 24, 2021. Begin dialing 10-digits (area code + telephone number) for all local calls. If you forget and dial just 7-digits, your call will still be completed.
- October 24, 2021. You must dial 10-digits (area code + telephone number) for all local calls. Local calls dialed with only 7-digits on and after this date may not be completed, and a recording will inform you that your call cannot be completed as dialed. You must hang up and dial again using the area code and the 7-digit number.
- July 16, 2022. Dialing “988” will route your call to National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 711 (relay services) and 911 (emergency services).
- Any 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, or 811 services available in your community can still be reached by dialing their three-digit codes.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can still be reached by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255).